Tutorial 1: Quick Start
You must have the Adobe Flash Player plug-in
installed to play this video.
Video transcript »
Skip video and media player
- Welcome to the American FactFinder Quick Start Tutorial.
- In this tutorial, we will demonstrate how to
- conduct a basic text search;
- view search results; and
- select a data product to view.
- After viewing the Quick Start Tutorial, you will be able to perform basic text search tasks.
- To begin, navigate to the American FactFinder main page at factfinder.census.gov.
- Quick Start is the American FactFinder text search.
- From Quick Start, you can enter a topic or table name along with an optional geography to begin your search.
- You can also use Quick Start to find a specific population group or industry by selecting the appropriate radio button below the text search box.
- Let's begin by entering Population Estimates in the topic text box.
- As you type, a drop-down list displays with recommendations.
- Next, enter Ohio in the Geography text box.
- Click GO to start your search.
- The Search Results display.
- The Search Results display data products matching your search terms.
- Notice the search terms entered display in the Your Selections box at the top of the Left Navigation bar.
- Your Selections allows you to easily add and remove search criteria.
- Let's look at the Search Results displayed here in table format.
- Search Results are organized by Table ID, Table Title and Dataset.
- You can click any of the column headers to sort the list of results.
- From the Search Results, you can:
- Select a single or multiple data products to view or download;
- Easily page through your search results;
- Or click on the Information icon to view more information about a product.
- Next, let's select a data product to view.
- For this example, select a product in the list by clicking on the Check box next to the name of the product.
- Then click View.
- American FactFinder displays the Data Product Viewer.
- From the Data Product viewer, you can modify, bookmark, or download the table.
- Click Main to return to the American FactFinder Main Page.
- This concludes the Quick Start tutorial.
- In this tutorial, you learned how to conduct a basic text search, view search results, and how to select a single product to view.
- For more information, visit American FactFinder at factfinder.census.gov.